My Documented Life Project 2015

I’ve decided to join in with the documented life project for next year which will be in an art journal this time, I must admit I signed up for it this year too but I never took to the paper in my planner as it didn’t *feel* right and it was too thin, so because of this I barely touched the planner or did any of the challenges.

I didn’t realise how important paper was before this and always took it for granted, its such a personal choice and what works for one person won’t necessarily work for another.  If it doesn’t feel right to you then you won’t use it, like I never used my planner this year because the quality of the paper set my teeth on edge!

The Challenge next year is taking part in a large Dylusions Journal, these journals are great for multiple techniques although I don’t like how the inks always bleed through the seams and ruins the previous pages. After seeing the initial announcement and excitement for next years challenge I set about thinking how it would work best for me. And in the end I decided to do it *MY* way as always…whats new! *rolls eyes*

Today I’m sharing with you what I plan to use for the challenges for my Document Life Project 2015!

I’m currently in love with creating on individual pages, they give me more artistic freedom than working in a journal, plus I can chop and change to different sizes whenever the mood takes me instead of abandoning another journal for the shiny new one (anyone recognise this trait or is it just me?)

So I decided to take a large A4 Lever Arch Ring Binder and decorate it myself to make it into a tip-in journal of sorts.

  • First thing I did was completely cover it with different colours of scrap papers, scrapbook papers and anything I could get my hands on, I didn’t think too much about this stage I just glued down the papers until I was happy with how it looked:

SAM_2785

 

  • Once the glue was dry I painted over the entire thing in different shades of green and yellow acrylic paint:

SAM_2788

 

To finish it off I used patterned duct tape along all the edges to give it strength:

SAM_2790

SAM_2791

I’m quite please with how it turned out!

Next I took a large stash of A4 papers, cards, scrapbook papers in different colours, types, grades and patterns and punched holes in them all and added sticky hole reinforcers to protect and give them strength. The 12×12 scrapbook pages where a little large for the file so I folded them to make a kind of pocket sleeve which I can either tear off or make into a pocket at a later date. I also finger painted the inside of the file to make it look a little brighter and cheery as you can see from the picture below:

SAM_2789

 

While I have your attention Id like to share with you my first page that I did for the file, its for my 15 minute pact; a promise to myself to do 15 minutes of art everyday no matter how busy or tired or sore Im feeling. 15 minutes is very do-able I think 🙂

SAM_2795

What are your creative plans for 2015?

 

 

 

Out With The Old Pocket & Tag Planner Art

For 2014 Im going to take part in the documented life project (http://www.robenmarie.com/blog/2013/12/14/the-documented-life-project.html)

For this challenge you need a planner (although you could use a journal or any book you have) and each week there are going to be new themes and challenges released.

To help me get back into the swing of creating again I decided to give it a whirl, and up until today I hadn’t done anything with my planner because the challenge doesn’t officially start till January 1st!

Below is my planner all ready for the new year 🙂

SAM_1265

I removed the piece of paper that was on the front of the planner and decided to use it to make a pocket for my book:

SAM_1266

First of all I glued random papers all over it and let the glue dry:

SAM_1267

Then  I decided to make a background for a tag on a sheet of card using the same method as above:

SAM_1268

I glued my tag to the back of the paper, then cut round the shape of the tag so that I would get a random background on my tag:

SAM_1273

SAM_1275

Next I folded 2 tabs on the back of the pocket so that I could use them to glue the pocket to the book:

SAM_1272

Then I trimmed off the front to make it look tidier:

SAM_1276

I decided it needed more colour so I sprayed them both with ink:

SAM_1277

I used my heat gun to dry the ink, once they were dry I added the finishing touches and then glued the pocket inside the planner with the tag inserted, which you can see below:

SAM_1278

SAM_1282

SAM_1289

SAM_1287